BMW Service Engine Soon Light On? Lucas Auto Care Can Help!
What you need to know about your Service Engine Soon light:
- It doesn’t mean you need an oil change!
- SES lights come on when something causes the engine to not run correctly.
- There is only one light so there is no way of knowing if there are multiple issues without doing testing.
- Service engine soon lights can also be related to your transmission.
- The result of the SES light being on indicates a performance loss. (Emissions directly relate to engine performance. That is why the SES will cause your vehicle to fail emissions testing)
- Reduced performance, the check engine light, and the service engine soon all indicate the same thing, your engine needs service.
BMW 335i Service Engine Soon Lamp
We have a BMW 335i with an “Engine malfunction. Reduced power” message and a “Service engine soon lamp” shown on the display.
This message can be generated by several different failures, but in this particular BMW, the fault code is a 30FF. This is related to the turbocharger boost pressure control system and shows us testing of this system will be required. Initial testing of this BMW found the fault was immediately set when the engine was put under turbocharger boost.
The BMW turbocharger pressure system is a complex one. Proper testing, in the correct order, is the most efficient way to find failures of this system. Knowledge of the system and its reaction to certain failures is extremely important to ensure a correct repair. Testing of this BMW found a failed attempt to repair to the vacuum lines that control the turbocharger pressure system.
In the case of this BMW 335i, once found, the repair was the replacement of the turbocharger’s control vacuum lines. Due to the extreme heat generated by this system, we chose to replace the items with a higher quality silicone vacuum line. This resulted in an inexpensive and permanent fix.